Friday, June 27, 2008

Blender -> Panda via Chicken, finally working

Mad props to the poster on the Panda forums BrianInSuwon. I had wrestled with getting an animated Actor into Panda3D after creating it in Blender. I think part of my problem was that I was using the newest version of Blender, and using envelopes to warp the mesh that I was putting over my armatures.

I'm really not trying to be a 3D animator, rather learning the mechanics of the animation and art path to better understand game engine development. I'm picking up Blender while picking up Panda.
There are alternative methods of doing bone animation in Blender, so you really do have to do it one certain way to get it to work. I won't repeat the instructions, rather link off to the forum post, but this does work using the Chicken exporter plug-in for Blender.

No comments: