Wednesday, March 7, 2007

I'm bleary eyed


I've been staying up way too late in Second Life. I've looked at it in the past, but it really seems to be taking off now. In many ways, this reminds me of how things felt when Gopher and finally Mosaic appeared on the scene.

I'm hanging out on the UNC Island at night (it's not ready for prime time), and helping pitch in to build a representation of the Forest Theater on campus. Talk about biting off more than you can chew! So I'm trying my hand at building, with the help of people like Uskala and Yohiro. I've already made some new friends, and had some interesting experiences. If you are around UNC, and doing things with second life, drop me a line and we can meet up over there! I'm finding that building is really time consuming, my java quotient has gone way up, but I'm determined to learn about building and scripting. I think these things will be useful, plus it's fun, darnit!

Anyhow, here's a shot of me in front of the Forest Theatre (under construction, as you can plainly see). Behind me are some really nice representations of Wilson Library, and South Building, done by builders much better than I! This is cool stuff, and it's going to change how we use the web in some interesting ways as this sort of environment evolves.

No comments: